As you can see, I’m still on my soy curl kick, which is fortunate since I bought that GINORMOUS box of them a few weeks ago.
So I made enchiladas with the soy curls a few days ago and they were super tasty, and the leftovers, which we ate a couple of days later, were equally delicious. The recipe makes a LOT of filling, however, so I thought I’d use that today to make enchilada bowls for dinner this evening.
It’s also a great opportunity to show you my quicker method for making vegan enchilada sauce! The part I hate about making enchilada sauce is that after you blend it, you have to simmer it for several minutes to cook the tapioca starch. My friend, Chazz, mentioned that she “cooks” her vegan cheese sauce in her Vitamix, so I thought I’d try the method with my enchilada sauce–quicker, fewer dishes, less splatter: what’s not to love?!
Oh–and this recipe serves six to eight!
So, here we go!
Soy Curl Enchilada Bowls
- Soak in four cups of hot vegan chick’n broth for half an hour:
- 8 ounces Butler’s Soy Curls
2. Throw the following in the Vitamix and set to SOUP setting:
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper (remove seeds unless you like it REALLY hot)
- 2 cups water
- 1 TBS Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base
- 2 TBS tapioca flour
- 1 TBS chili powder
- 1 TBS soy sauce
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
3. Drain the soy curls and saute in a large saucepan until nicely browned. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
4. Saute the following for several minutes:
- 1 sliced onion
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 sliced seeded jalapeno pepper
- 3 large sliced white mushrooms (or 1 portobello mushroom)
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 cup of sliced grape tomatoes
- 1 cup of canned black beans
5. Add soy curls back into the pan and add and stir:
- 2/3 cup of the enchilada sauce
6. Make some brown basmati rice and serve the enchilada mix over the rice. Drizzle with a bit more of the sauce and top with grated vegan cheese, a dollop of salsa and another of guacamole. Oh–and remember to toss a few tablespoons of fresh cilantro on top!
And the song of the day is an Iron and Wine cover of an old Talking Heads song, “This Must Be the Place”: