Just tried this cheese sauce from FatFree Vegan kitchen, and it’s really good. I made a couple of adjustment (because I thought I was missing Miso–turns out I wasn’t–oh well). The last one I made that was as good had CASHEWS as its base; this one has cauliflower, so it’s a much lower fat deal.
You basically bring the first four ingredients to a boil, let it simmer until the cauliflower is very soft (about fifteen minutes), add the rest of the ingredients, blend it with an immersion blender and the bring it back to the boil (stirring constantly) for a couple more minutes.
- 2 cups water
- 2 heaping cups small cauliflower florets
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon mellow white miso or soy-free chickpea miso or a little salt (I used two TBS of BTB paste)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or potato starch
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt to taste (didn’t need it because I used the BTB paste).
I’ve also been trying a number of recipes from the McDougall site, all of which are very good! His recipes/plans rely more on potatoes and grains and less on nuts and seeds (as Fuhrman’s recipes do).
I’ve also been reading Douglas Lilse’s book The Pleasure Trap–it’s very good. A revelation to me was that the pleasure centre and the happiness centre of our brains are distinct. Makes sense (and good to know!).
Here’s a link to his TED talk: