We currently have a surfeit of mushrooms, so I made a mushroom risotto for future consumption, but this barely put a dent in our supply, so I decided to convert my mushroom hot and sour soup to an Instant Pot recipe.
Funnily enough, my first hot and sour soup recipe was a slow-cooker recipe that took four hours. This one takes two minutes in the IP and it’s just as good!!
So here goes!
Instant Pot Vegan Hot and Sour Soup
Blend the following in the Vitamix until smooooooooooth.
- 6 cups water
- 3 TBS Better Than Bouillon, No Chicken Base, Vegetarian
- 1 TBS corn starch
- 4 garlic cloves. minced or crushed
- 2 Tb fresh ginger, minced or grated (do not use ginger powder!)
- 3 TBS soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 TBS sambal oelek
- 6 TBS rice wine vinegar
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms (optional–if you happen to have these and throw a few into the Vitamix, the broth will be even more umami-ish!)
Next, turn the IP onto “saute” and saute the following for a few minutes:
- 1 package firm tofu, cubed
- 4 cups mixed mushrooms (I used a combo of oyster, cremini, and portobello), chopped
- 6 ounces cabbage, chopped
Pour the mixture from the Vitamix into the Instant Pot and set for 2 minutes on high.
Do a controlled quick release and quickly stir in…
- 1½ cups frozen (or fresh) peas
- fresh bean sprouts (if you have them)
The frozen peas will cook quickly in the hot broth.
- cilantro, chopped
- green onions, chopped
And there you go–super quick and delicious!
All you have to do is quickly cook up some soba noodles…
Pour the soup over the noodles….
And turn on The Forensic Files!!!!