I posted a healthy, oil free vegan banana bread here back in 2021, but today I’m posting a lusher version. This version contains both oil and sugar, which, of course, makes the bread super sumptuous!
And I used some very nice organic flour because my darling Em sent me a package from Flourist Bakery in Vancouver–it’s a starter pack of three of their freshly milled, organic flours: red fife, whole wheat, and rye…
She also sent me a jar of their turmeric blend tea to make golden mylk…
But back to the banana bread, which is based on this highly rated recipe from SimplyRecipes.com. To veganize the recipe, I subbed vegan butter for butter and aquafaba for eggs. I also subbed half the white sugar for brown sugar (no healthier, but a bit more variety). And I added 1/2 a cup of applesauce–again for variety. Oh, and a cup each of raisins and chopped pecans.
And, of course, I doubled the recipe! So you can half it if you want only one loaf or eight muffins. I like to make mine in miniature loaf pans, so I can freeze them, and just take out two at a time to thaw for dessert.
Vegan Banana Bread
- 2 cups very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed (about four bananas)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 152 grams vegan butter or margerine, melted
- 120 grams aquafaba (about what you get from one can of chickpeas)
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda (not baking powder)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 150 grams brown sugar
- 150 grams white sugar
- 410 grams flour (I used Flourist Organic Wheat Flour)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan or 8 muffin tins/mini-loaf tins.
- Mash the bananas in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the applesauce, aquafaba, vanilla, and melted vegan butter.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients except the raisins and nuts. Once no dry ingredients are evident, add the nuts and raisins and mix.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan or muffin tins–each muffin tin should hold about 1/3 cup of batter. Bake at 350°F for 55 to 65 minutes if you are making loaves OR 30 minutes if you are making muffins. The internal temperature should be about 207 when done.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for a few minutes. Then remove the banana bread from the pan and let cool completely before serving.
And the song of the day is The Association’s “Never my Love” because it’s a cheesy old song I love, and it just popped up on my playlist!
First, the wholesome 1967 version:
And next, the vaguely sleazy 1968 version where the lead singers are attempting to make seductive love-eyes as they sing. Clearly, these boys came through the 1968 Summer of Love with a new sense of themselves as players!