So my first whack at making a vegan cheese-type sauce in the Vitamix was NOT a success (likely because I conflated a bunch of recipes and used past-its-prime RAW cauliflower as a base). THAT little experiment went right down the drain.
Today, however, my attempt at adapting an excellent vegan queso recipe was entirely successful! It’s based on a Post-Punk Kitchen recipe–Cashew Queso–and turned out to be much quicker in the Vitamix and quite a bit smoother.
Vegan Vitamix Queso
Throw in the Vitamix…
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in boiling water for ten minutes and drained
- 2 cups homemade veg broth
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon vegetable paste
Next, spray a saucepan with oil and saute for eight minutes (adding garlic in for last minute)….
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
Add the mixture from the saucepan into the Vitamix and also add…
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin (I used dehydrated cilantro because I ran out of cumin!!!)
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
Set your Vitamix to the “soup” setting and walk away until it finishes.
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
And mix on medium for a few seconds.
It’s delicious atop a baked potato with vegan coconut bacon and chopped green onions!
And if you want to make a meal of it, add a handful of black beans and a dollop of guacamole and salsa–Yum yum!!!